TAREA Building Capacity of Tanzania District Councils
Tanzania energy sector is centralized at the national level. The structure of the Ministry of Energy not being represented at the district level has been one of the delaying factors of the efforts of accelerating access to the sustainable renewable energy as there is no contact persons at the lower level in the most of district councils.
TAREA cooperating with Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH) started the initiatives of training planning human capacity of Regional Administration and Local Government Administration on renewable energy management.
Swedish International Development Agency (Sida) supported the training in the regions of Geita, Kagera, Kigoma and Tabora. Rural Energy Agency (REA) supported training in the regions of Katavi and Rukwa, and in 2017 Beruflichen Fortbildungszentren der Bayerischen Wirtschaft (bfz) gGmbH supported training in Mwanza region.
The aim is covering all regions of Tanzania Mainland. The initiative will result:
- District councils having renewable energy contact persons for developers
- Mainstreaming the renewable technologies in the development plans
- Sustainability of installed renewable energy systems
- Renewable energy business scale up and
- Increased access to the sustainable renewable energy technologies.
TAREA is inviting more partners to support the initiative.